Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Help with Burnham V8 issue

GrumblesGrumbles Member Posts: 3
I have a Burnham V8 boiler with a Beckett burner that I have been servicing since I moved into my house a few years ago. The thing has run great since I moved in but this heating season it has started to act up on me and I cant get to the bottom of the issue. About a month into using it this winter it went out on me and since then I can only get it to run for about a week before it goes out again. Every time it goes out I have to bleed it and it cranks right back up again and runs fine till it dies. I changed the nozzle and re-seated the filter to make sure everything looked good on that end and not general tweaking has seemed to make any difference.
Tagged:

Comments

• EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 4,755
    need more information. Inside oil tank?, outside oil tank?, single pipe?, two pipe? Sounds like an oil delivery problem.

Get a pressure gage and a vacuum gage on the pump and we can help you troubleshoot
  • GrumblesGrumbles Member Posts: 3
    Sorry busy end of the week, I couldn't get back to this before now. Its an inside tank. Delivery line is under the slab. Singe pipe. I have to get a some gauges that will fit and I can test. I think its a vacuum seal issue so the pump looses its prime when off too long. The house also uses wood to heat so sometimes it can take awhile before there is a demand for the boiler.
  • STEVEusaPASTEVEusaPA Member Posts: 2,449
    I would test the fuel line first before blaming the fuel pump. More likely a vacuum leak in the line before bad pump seals.
    Both can be tested with pressure and vacuum gauges.
    steve
  • HVACNUTHVACNUT Member Posts: 1,734
    Eliminate the oil line under the slab. Unless its sleeved, and if it leaks, you're asking the EPA to knock on your door. Run a new exposed, coated oil line.
  • GrumblesGrumbles Member Posts: 3
    So I don't seem to have the right fittings on my pressure and vacuum gauges for this boiler. I haven't hooked them up to this one before and it seems to be a different size than the last boiler I had. I have some adapters ordered and am waiting. In the meantime I ran into a friend who services boilers and said he was willing to bet it was a tank issue and that I just have sludge built up in the tank outlet and that I should blow it out with low pressure air through the bleeder at the tank. I gave that a try and am waiting to see if it craps out on me again. I will update when I can hook my gauges up to it. The oil line appears to be sleeved, or it is at both ends. Not excited to deal with it if it is a leak in the line since the line goes from one corner of the house to the other.
  • Alan WelchAlan Welch Member Posts: 110
    More than likely the line under the floor is plugged up. If the tank is on the same level as the burner it should flow gravity if there is a reasonable amount of oil in the tank.