Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating for basement

Nysteamer
Nysteamer Member Posts: 22
edited January 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello everyone, I have a few questions regarding options for heating a small basement and potentially two other areas.

The basement is 700sqft, I did a preliminary heat loss and it comes out to approx 6k, considering all the random losses, slab, windows, infiltration etc. I know that there is the option of having a hot water zone from the boiler, but I personally dont like this idea, because the location of the boiler and placement of equipment to create the zone would cause the boiler room to be obstructed in areas. Once upon a time after reading numerous posts and research it seems having a second boiler installed specifically for the basement would be the best option, but with such a small zone can it work, what would be the cons of such a system. The navien nhb 55 has a 7 to 1 turndown ratio. There are also two other areas in the house that could use some heat but they are small zones, a kickspace in the kitchen and a towel warmer perhaps in a bathroom. What do you guys think!!?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    your calculated load is probably too small to use a stand alone boiler. I would create a zone off your existing boiler. Your only talking about a small circulator and 1/2" copper or pex tubing and some baseboard. It's not going to take much room and will be far less costly. Your only talking about 12' of baseboard if your calculations are right.

Then again electric heat wouldn't be a killer for such a small load.
    DZoroCanucker