Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiling steam radiator valves in vinegar

Options
branimal
branimal Member Posts: 210
Just got 2 of Dan Holohan's books and read that vent's can be cleaned by boiling in vinegar for an hour.

Some questions... undiluted vinegar? And can these particular vents be boiled?

I'm assuming I have to take the radiator apart to get the vent off the radiator in the picture...

Thanks

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    That air vent should unscrew off the rad. I wouldn't attempt to take any old radiator apart.
    Also, that vent is located too high. That is the air bleed location for hot water heating.
    Steam air vents should be about a 1/3 up from the bottom of the rad....opposite of the steam inlet valve.
    There are probably plugs or bosses in the iron.
    Plug could be hell to get out.
    Boss is actually better as you drill it out and then tap 1/8" pipe thread in that location for an angle air vent.
    branimaladasilva
  • branimal
    branimal Member Posts: 210
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

That air vent should unscrew off the rad. I wouldn't attempt to take any old radiator apart.

When I went to unscrew the air vent the bolt head to the left of it is obstructing the counterclockwise turn. Are you suggesting I can bend the air vent back and turn so as to avoid the obstruction?

Thx

• adasilva
    adasilva Member Posts: 144
    Options
    @branimal JUGHNE is correct about the location of the vent. I have the same situation on two radiators I have in my daughters room where for whatever reason they placed it in the top port. I had luck with one plug coming out to install a new vent but I had to turn the top one to point down to turn it "off" as the large bolt was in the way. If you can get the plug out then install a vent and do the same till the warmer months come and then try to get it out. Or if you don't care about saving it you could bend it to get it to turn but be careful as not to break it off in the process!
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Judging from the age of those vents, I'd replace them. They have served their purpose.
    JUGHNE