Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco valve gets rubber particles which keep it open

Options
oily
oily Member Posts: 1
Hi, I have a weil mclain boiler with 2 zones, pumps, and check valves. One of the taco check valves keeps getting stuck open. When i remove the valve unit I find a small piece of what seems to be soft black rubber about the sign of a matchhead. After i clean the valve it is ok for a week to a month, then gets stuck again. This has been going on for over a year now. Anybody have any ideas as to what the contaminant could be and how to fix problem permanently? It is always the same check valve. Both pumps and valves are about 5 years old.

Comments

• SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    Options
    What sort of piping/tubing are you using?
    Any pictures of you system and the problem?
    Have you pulled your pump heads off the flange and looked in the impeller housings?

You need to deal with the source, but in the meantime it might be good to get some sort of dirt/mag separator on your return. It will capture some of the particles and let you blow it down.

Something like a caleffi dirmag, or perhaps an inline strainer (but you need to be aware of the maintenance (cleaning/blow down) the goes along with inline strainers).
    https://www.caleffi.com/usa/en-us/catalogue/dirtmagr-dirt-separator-magnet-546306a
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    Options
    Hi
    I read your comment about the rubber particles possibly hindering the weighted check valve from fully closing. I'm assuming you have inline check valves, perhaps 219 check valves? Or pumps equipped with integral check valves? If they are inline check valves, they small system particles should continue on there way as the velocity increases through the check providing self cleaning. You should install a small inline strainer to capture debris as it travels through the system. I agree with superJ about finding the root cause of debris. Taco Tech support are a great resource to further help. They can be reached at 401-942-8000. thanks for using Taco products!!
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    Erin Holohan Haskell