Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

The importance of near-boiler piping in a steam system

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Posts: 366
edited December 2018 in THE MAIN WALL

The importance of near-boiler piping in a steam system

Read the full story here

Steve Minnich

Comments

• halnwheels
    halnwheels Member Posts: 10
    Dan, I am not a professional but when I had my old American Boiler replaced in the '90's with a 3 section Smith, I had a ferociously gurgling radiator and the installer told me that my base-ray radiator didn't have enough incline. That wasn't it. I did research and came to the conclusion that you have shown here. The problem was that they didn't do the piping near the boiler correctly. It took a lot of persistence and I showed them articles and then FINALLY they got an engineer to come to the house and he directed them to do what essentially you have described here. If I remember correctly, they didn't provide a Hartford Loop, as you reference here. When I bought my house in 1985, a man I knew named Jack Shultz (NJ area) was so excited that I had oil fired steam. He told me about Vari-valves and he gave me magazines from the 1040's that had articles he had written. There were pictures of him working on systems in a shirt and tie! I still love my steam system although it is now fired by gas, but that's another story! Thanks for this terrific post.