Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam pipe flow analysis question

Nysteamer
Nysteamer Member Posts: 22
Hello All,

A good day to everyone, I wanted to write in to ask a question, but first I would like to say man I find it so interesting to scroll read through random topics on the wall. There is so much little bits of information that when put together, can help you learn something you quite didn't understand or didn't know. Thanks to all the contributors who respond to our inquiries!

Anyway, my question is, when you have a pipe supply steam to a second floor radiator and this pipe is suppose to supply the first floor radiator, but you disconnect the first floor and run the boiler. What kind of issues are expected to occur with that second floor radiator. The pipe is sized for two radiators but currently supply one. The issue I feel that is appearing right now is heavy slush and gurgling, like steam and water colliding. An issue that has been posted a number of times on the wall before me. Turned out it can be a number of things but I would like to know that if and when a radiator is reattached to the first floor would this end the issue.

Is there too much steam heading up that single pipe, also this pipe happens to be the very last run out on the main, or end of the main.

Thanks all,

Comments

• I suspect there is a sag in a small horizontal section of that riser, which had been supported by the now removed radiator.
    You could try to check the pitch on the remaining radiator, and raise it up a small amount to stretch the horizontal section back to drain properly.—NBC
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    In addition to what @nicholas bonham-carter said, make sure the pitch on the gurgling radiator is correct. It should pitch back towards the supply pipe (if one pipe system) towards the return side (if two pipe system). Removing a radiator, in and of itself should not cause this problem. Also make sure you are not venting the remaining radiator really fast. What size vent do you have on that radiator.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,074
    a bigger steam pipe will cause no issues. Most likely a pitch problem as others have mentioned
  • Nysteamer
    Nysteamer Member Posts: 22
    Hey guys thanks for the responses, @fred I actually have a Hoffman 1A and i believe it is set to vent fast at the moment.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Nysteamer said:

Hey guys thanks for the responses, @fred I actually have a Hoffman 1A and i believe it is set to vent fast at the moment.

If it's set at "6", try 4 or 5. That may help some.