Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Gooseneck in steam condensate tank vent

LJCLJC Posts: 4Member
If the open vent for a steam condensate tank is indoors, what is the purpose of adding a gooseneck? There's no weather to worry about - is this about dust? If not, isn't it easier to keep possible steam discharge away from personnel if the venting pipe went straight upwards (to a point above the boiler water line)?
This comes from reading through Dan Holohan's The Lost Art of Steam Heating - I think I understand everything else going on with the vent.

Comments

• LJCLJC Posts: 4Member
    edited December 2018
    To be clear, this is what I'm talking about:
    Holohan Condensate Tank Venting photo CondensatePumpVent_zpsybhfas5x.jpg

• PumpguyPumpguy Posts: 346Member
    Could you please re-post? No picture or file to open.
    Specializing in vacuum pumps for steam heating systems, especially older Nash Jennings units. We build new ones too!

Now offering Tunstall air vent valves for steam and hot water hydronic heating systems.

Please visit our website www.nashjenningspumps.com for more information
  • LJCLJC Posts: 4Member
    Thank you - something went wrong with the image hosting. This is what I mean:
    Holohan Condensate Tank Venting photo CondensatePumpVent_zpsybhfas5x.jpg
  • NoelNoel Posts: 168Member
    It's about risk of hurting somebody with scalding water. Piping it back to safely close to the floor protects people from being burned by surprise.
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 5,626Member
    Also pipe acts as a vent on top and an overflow to direct any water to the floor. if traps fail steam could come out both openings