Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator- What is this?

Nysteamer Member Posts: 22
Hello all,

Thanks ahead of time. I am trying to figure out what kind of vent this is?
These are two different radiators. I am not certain how they even function.
I have hoffman 1A on all radiators just fyi.



  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    First one looks like a bleeder valve for a hot water radiator, the other two, I'm not sure
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Unless you have a hot water system, those will not work, and should be replaced with some Hoffmans.—NBC
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,441
    They look like hot water bleeder valves w/ the handles/ keys broken off.
    If this i8s a hot water system they are too low in the radiator to work.
    If it is in a steam system they are the wrong vent. That should be an air vent...
  • Nysteamer
    Nysteamer Member Posts: 22
    Hey guys, so system is steam, and actually just about adjacent to these little guys is where the vent tapping is and where the hoffman 1a is. I am a hundred percent sure there was never any hot water system in the house before, and I believe almost every rad in the house has one of these in them.
  • Steamhead
    Steamhead Member Posts: 16,889
    I've seen this before. I think these were used to manually speed up slow radiators when needed. Nowadays we'd fix this with proper main venting.
    All Steamed Up, Inc.
    Towson, MD, USA
    Steam, Vapor & Hot-Water Heating Specialists
    Oil & Gas Burner Service