Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Heating zone only partially working

tabethtabeth Posts: 1Member
First of all, thanks for the advice given in my original post.

I did all of these things:

Checked the pressure and temperature, which looked OK

Attempted to "purge" the area. The zone (let's call it Zone 2), was purged by opening the valve on the return. I had incorrectly completed this by opening the valve on the supply return. It didn't seem to make a difference, assuming I did it right (I opened a 5 gallon bucket worth).

What I did notice is that Zone 2 was in a loop/split. Zone 2 split into two pipes, "Back" and "Front". It seems that the baseboard that doesn't work is in "Back" and what did work was in "Front". When I checked the plumbing I also noticed that pipe immediately coming out of the split for Zone 2 was hot, but once the water got to "Front" and "Back" it was only "Back" that was lukewarm.

Here's a diagram (more or less)

Zone 2 Front
+---------+
| Hot
Zone 2 |
+------------------------------+
| | Lukewarm
| +---------+
| Zone 2 Back
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
| Zone 1
+------------------------------+
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
| Zone 3
+-------------------------------+

I'm probably going to call a plumber, but feel like this may have a really simple resolution that someone's experience and familiarity could easily solve by simply saying: "Oh hey, just twist this thingy." (I hope.)

One thing I've read on various forums is that it's possible due to the length of pipe that even though I purged the air via the return valve it's not fully out of the system. One suggestion was the temporarily increase the pressure to force everything out. I'm not sure how to do this, however. This is the boiler I have. Going to take a look at the manual online.

One thing I noticed several months ago was a gurgling noise coming from the boiler. In retrospect these two issues may be related as apparently gurgling is a loss of water pressure in some cases. That lack of pressure may explain why two zones are cold (air blockage with combination of low pressure).