Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bleeding radiators

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
This discussion was created from comments split from: turning off water supply but leaving the boiler on?.

Comments

• SRM_in_ND
    SRM_in_ND Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I have an electric boiler (bad $ idea but that's a whole other story). It was installed 10 years ago. At the time a check valve was installed on the supply line. The line was old (previous boiler was gas) iron pipe and after awhile the check valve leaked due to deposits but not a big deal. Spring of 2017 I had major remodeling and replumbing done. I remember being told that leaky valve was no longer a problem. Didn't really notice--the pex water lines were so weird looking I really never thought about the line to the boiler and the plumbing guy never mentioned it to me, maybe to the guy doing the remodel.

Last winter I had the original heating installer over to bleed the radiators (the valves had gotten too stiff and couldn't open several of them) which is when I learned about the cut supply line--yes, no supply line to the boiler. He connected a hose from a faucet to the boiler and gave me some instructions about watching the pressure (which has never gone above where he said it should be). The faucet was the hot water line to my washing machine, which was NBD because I always used cold tap water anyway. But decided to use some hot to the washer last summer so disconnected the hose.

Here is my question: I was planning on bleeding the radiators myself this year. So I am going to reconnect the hose. My questions are: open both valves and keep open? I don't remember what positions they were in when I disconnected it. And if I do that do I just leave the valves open after that?

For now I'm fine with keeping the hose setup although at some point (like if I sell the house since the electric boiler in a big old house is godawful expensive and eventually I will retire) but just need clarification on method here.

As for the check valve, the heating guy said he never liked them but they were required at the time but no longer. And expect the plumber got the money for the brass in the thing.