Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Cycle Time Improvement

DocfletcherDocfletcher Posts: 475Member
I made a couple of changes here on my NG WM GV4 S2 boiler. Specifically in a effort to counter short cycle times due to micro zoning I have manually opened 3 zone valves. When the living area upstairs zone calls for heat, the bathroom, family room and spare bedroom also get heat. Burn times have gone from 3 minutes to 4 minutes & 30 seconds. Not great but markedly better. A side effect of the open zone valves is a reverse flow through the Runtal baseboard in the bathroom and spare bedroom when the circulator is off. The one circulator seems to be able to handle all 4 zones although there is a circ in the boiler which may provide some assist. I'm temped to manually open the master bedroom zone valve as well.

One possible downside to all this is a greater quantity of water that needs to be brought up to non-condensing 130F water. As many of you know the thermostatic mixing valve was prone to failure on these boilers, I can't really tell if it's working or not.

I'm not sure but I think indirect check valve may be not working because the indirect calls for heat much more often (like every 3 or 4 hours). It suggests there is reverse flow from there as well. I think I'm ok with that. I'd rather burn a little more fuel then need to replace the boiler. I'd really appreciate some feedback on this, thanks.