Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1/4” and 3/8” Tap capacity??

Options
Has anyone calculated the venting capacity of 1/4” and 3/8” tappings in a main? I see 1/8” and 1/2” on the venting capacity chart, but my system has tappings are in between and I would like to know how much i can get out of the existing taps.

Comments

• Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 659
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I have orifice flow charts compiled by The Nash Engineering Company in the late 1930s. These were used primarily for volume capacity performance testing their vacuum pumps and compressors.

The approximate hole size for 1/4" and 3/8" NPT tappings are 7/16" and 9/16".

These tables show that discharging 60 degree F. air @ one PSIG, the flow through a 7/16" orifice is 13.7 ACFM. The flow through a 9/16" orifice is 22.4 ACFM.

Unfortunately, these flow tables don't show anything below one PSI.

Additional searching using an online flow calculator shows that discharging 120 degree F. air @ 0.25 PSIG through a 7/16" orifice has a flow rate of 7.3 SCFM. Through a 9/16" orifice, the flow is 11.8 SCFM.

Hope this information is of some use.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Are the existing taps you have into a Tee?
    It was rare for a tee of steam pipe sizes to have less than 1/2" branch.
    Do you have bushings in your tees?
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 432
    Options
    Very generally the venting capacity will be proportional to the square of the hole diameter, so, again very generally, a 1/4" hole is 4 times the area of a 1/8" hole and so should vent at about 4 times the capacity; a 3/8" hole is 9 times the area of a 1/8" hole and should vent at 9 times the capacity; to double check it from the 1/2" vent chart a 1/4" hole is 0.5 the diameter of a 1/2" hole and thus 25% of the area of a 1/2" hole and so should vent at 25% (0.5 squared) of the capacity of a 1/2" hole; and a 3/8" hole is 75% of the diameter of a 1/2" hole and so should vent at about 56% of the capacity of a 1/2" hole (0.75 squared).
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Bushings??
  • cnjamros
    cnjamros Member Posts: 76
    Options
    There are no bushings in these taps... each one currently feeds into a reducing elbow (reversed) that upsizes to 1/2" for my Gorton #2s.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Any pictures of that?
    cnjamros