Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Squirting Air Vent Quandary

Options
DRoth80
DRoth80 Member Posts: 1
edited November 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
I have an air vent attached to a 64-inch cast iron recessed radiator that is perpetually leaking when my steam boiler fires up. New vent was professionally installed and still leaking. My plumber opened the supply valve and concluded that since there was no water, it must be corrosion that is clogging the radiator and is suggesting a replacement. My boiler is about twelve years old and not in the best health. When previous owner installed the boiler he kept the old piping to save money. Some pipes are visibly corroded on the outside and have cauterized, and the spigot has lots of visible corrosion. Air vents attached to the three other radiators on the first floor make gurgling sounds but no condensate. Is this a boiler problem, or a radiator problem, or an air vent problem? Help!

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Sounds like a system problem, could be too much pressure, bad piping, wet steam. I know one thing, replacing a radiator won't fix anything.

What pressure is the boiler set for? Do all the radiators have pitch to the inlet valve? What is the meat boiler piping like? Pictures would help.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Probably overpressure, under(main)venting, and dirty water are the cause of your problems.
    Put a low (0-3 psi) pressure gauge on the pressuretrol pigtail, leaving the old gauge in place for code reasons, (even though it’s useless!) keep the pressure below 1.5 psi max.
    Read up here on skimming to clean the boiler, and check your main vents. The new gauge will tell you if your main vents are up to snuff.—NBC