Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gaps in main insulation

I've begun to insulate my mains that were hidden behind a soffit in my finished basement and was wondering how far I should go with this process. There are a few gaps due to the riser T's, pipe supports, elbows and hard to reach areas within the soffit that I don't plan on covering before the contractor closes the soffit back up. In addition, because it will be out of sight, I don't plan on using the included white tape that is used to connect two sections of pipe insulation together.
My assumption is that if I cover 100% of the near boiler piping, and have about 10 gaps of 1-3 inches each, it wont matter much when talking about 87 feet of total main pipe length. Also, I don't want my basement to go from it's current temp of "bikram yoga room" to "lambeau field in january". Some residual heat is fine by me as long as I'm gaining the benefits of the insulation.
Some before, during and almost done pics attached

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,182
    I have had the adhesive give up on the laps.
    If this happened you would not see it.
    I would use the strips for the butt joint and even add one in the middle of each 3' section.
    Or cut the strips into 1/3's or so and stick them on like scotch tape as you would if your mailing envelope glue was not working.
    FWIW
  • lowballj
    lowballj Member Posts: 15
    That's a good idea and simple for me to do before that's closed back up. Thanks.