Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Opinions on direct vent tank hot water heaters?

Chris_L
Chris_L Member Posts: 336
The conventional, 40 gallon gas tank water heater serving the tenants in my two-family home is on its last legs. I'd like to replace it with something that doesn't vent to the chimney, as I may want to remove the chimney in the future for remodeling.

Does anyone have any opinion on direct vent (not power vent) gas, tank water heaters that vent through the wall? Mine would be in an unfinished basement, and can be placed right next to the wall. Gas and water connections would be easy.

Are there any problems with wind blowing out the pilots in these heaters? Or any other problems that you wouldn't have with a chimney-vented gas water heater?

It looks like AO Smith and Bradford White are the main suppliers. Any preferences?

As a late-adopter of new technology, I'd like to stay away from on-demand heaters and the noise of power venting. But if the wall-vented tank is not a good idea, does anyone have any experience with this HTP gas hybrid water heater: http://www.htproducts.com/RGH75100.html. Is it reliable? Quiet? (My bedroom will be above the heater, and I don't want to hear it.)

Thanks.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,072
    Installed a 40 gallon at my brothers house probably 15 years ago. Worked like a charm, never had any issues.

It finally gave out last year and we replaced it with the same thing. Only problem is due to the new "energy efficiency codes" the new tank was slightly taller and wider than the old one so we had to raise the flue.

They were both "State" water heaters.
  • Chris_L
    @EBEBRATT-Ed, thanks for the comments.

Glad to hear of your good experience. (I understand "State" is the same as AO Smith.) Now to find a plumber to install one.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 952
    Plan on maintenance every year or 2 and the potential of expensive repairs once the warranty is over.
  • Chris_L

Plan on maintenance every year or 2 and the potential of expensive repairs once the warranty is over.

I am not sure what you are referring to. Why would the maintenance and repair of a direct-vent tank hot water heater that vents through the wall be expected to be any different from a conventional tank hot water heater that vents to a chimney?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,791
    The one you noted is a high efficiency condensing style, more $ and more complexity, but higher potential efficiency.

Most all brands offer power vented, standard efficient tanks, if that is what you are after?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Chris_L
    Got it.

The HTP link I listed is for a condensing heater. I too have concerns about its complexity, but haven't found anyone with any experience actually using or operating that specific heater.

I also mentioned direct-vent gas (tank) heaters vented through the wall. It seems to me they are a better option than a power vented tank if you have the option of putting the heater near a wall.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,481
    Hello, I use a direct vent heater and it'd had no problems. Changing the anode and checking the relief valve periodically are about all it needs to keep going. Well, cobwebs do seem to happen around the vent, but that's about all that's different than a conventional atmospheric tank. I would add a second magnesium anode if possible. B)

Yours, Larry