Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Navien

happydavehappydave Posts: 79Member
We are doing a electric heat conversion, small home 1400 sqft. this week using a Navien, now propane company customer is contracted with can’t drop a tank until the 23rd of the month. My question is can I run the boiler off of a 20lb tank outside with a regulator from grill or will the pressure be to low?

Comments

• McSteamer22McSteamer22 Posts: 19Member
    Most likely not, are you installing a ncb or nhb. I know especially the ncb combi drinks gas pretty quickly on a hot water demand.
    Either case I would think the tank would freeze or run out.
  • happydavehappydave Posts: 79Member
    Ncb, love them, scheduling did not work for us this time
  • LeonardLeonard Posts: 840Member
    edited November 2018
    One 20# BBQ tank only holds ~ 4 gallons. That's only ~ 400k BTUs total energy content. If your drawing 400k BTU/hr it'll be empty in ~ 1 hour even if you could keep tank warm. She'll likely freeze up fast if you don't seriously warm the tank. Those tanks typically service only ~ 50k BTU/hr grills. Propane cools very similar to Freon.

Ganging up 6-8 tanks might supply 400k BTU/hr, but not worth cost unless you already owned tanks and fittings.