Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water/Steam hammer need solution

Options
ImYoungxD
ImYoungxD Member Posts: 130
edited November 2018 in Strictly Steam
The pipe bangs when steam reaches the rad. Pretty obvious why it's hammering if you see the pictures. Any way I can fix this? It was mounted to the wall but pitched incorrectly and banging. I took it off the wall and added a glass bottle to pitch it but still banging because the bottom part is not pitched. It also gurgles after it stops banging. I don't have a lot of space to remove the pipes

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited November 2018
    Options
    There is probably a horizontal pipe under the floor that is also pitched the wrong way and holding water. See if you can lift the pipe up some (that will add pitch to the horizontal pipe under the floor) Then re-pitch the radiator.
  • ImYoungxD
    Options
    I tried lifting the horizontal pipe but it won't move. Any recommendation on what to use to pitch it? It's about 4 inches high
  • Fred
    Options
    Has it always hammered or is this a new problem? If that pipe won't move, don't force it. You may break something.
  • ImYoungxD
    Options
    Always hammer since day 1 of moving into this home last year.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Are you collecting water in the 90 under the valve?
    Is that a real steam radiator or hot water wantabe.
  • ImYoungxD
    Options
    It is collecting water under the valve. This is steam. Pitching the lower pipe is hard since the horizontal pipe isn't moving.
  • Fred
    Options
    Is this in a bathroom? Do you need that heat? If not, you can turn the air vent upside down and that will prevent steam from getting into the radiator and should stop the hammer.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    edited November 2018
    Options
    If the basement is not accessible, an option is to replace the 90's with 2 45's to assure draining.
    Old eyes here, hopefully that is 1".
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    is that valve open all the way ?
    it should be,
    after that it might be worth disassembling the valve, and checking the internals are working and not disconnected and holding back condensate.
    known to beat dead horses
  • ImYoungxD
    Options
    It is the bathroom. I think my wife wants it on.
    It's not in the basement. It's probably best to remove the 90s and replace with 45s like you said.
    I did take the rad off to clean it and look inside. Valve is working fine