Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CHIMNEY OPENING TRANSITION TO 7 INCH GALVANIZED VENT PIPE WITH STEAM OIL BOILER

Options
ww
ww Member Posts: 282
The system is steam heat using a Beckett AF burner with a 1.10 gph hollow nozzle on an old American Arco Boiler.

The chimney opening is 9 inches wide and 11 inches high. (See photo). The previous cement surrounding the old pipe just crumbled away and wasn't sealed. I made all new 7 inch pipes from boiler and need to make this transition the proper way.

I'm thinking a permanent connection at the chimney base to allow me to unscrew the pipe for cleaning without disturbing the connection at the chimney base.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to do this and some good reference material?

There is no covering on the chimney on the roof either so suggestions on the best type of cap would be appreciated as well and how to secure it. Thanks

Comments

• leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,137
    edited November 2018
    Options
    You need a chimney sweep to clean and examine your chimney and you need to call the folks at Rockford Chimney Supply to obtain what you need quickly.

I can recommend them very highly as I have one of their standard 3 foot chimney extensions with a rain cap and spark arresster for my coal stoker boiler.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    It looks like your chimney does not have a clay liner, or it has broken off.
    Either way, you should have the chimney evaluated and a liner installed. The chimney contractor will run the liner into the basement (usually about 6") and properly seal the hole. Then the flue pipe and draft regulator can be properly installed.
    After that, draft test and full combustion test.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Paul Pollets
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    What @SteveusaPA said
  • ww
    ww Member Posts: 282
    Options
    chimney has clay liner just above that section where the square is cut out.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    I'd still have it inspected for integrity. It may still need a liner.

There was an error rendering this rich post.