Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Single Pipe Steam Boiler Undersized?

Options
2»

Comments

• DetroitSteamer
    DetroitSteamer Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Pipes still have original asbestos wrap which the previous owner did a DIY encapsulate with this stuff...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-16-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-Roll-with-Staple-Tab-Edge-ST16025/100012574

From what I can see, the original asbestos is in fine shape. I don't want to get into the debate of asbestos and whatnot. I'm of the impression that the best thing to do with asbestos in good condition is leave it alone. I'll spend more money in asbestos remediation than I'll spend on increased gas bills if that's indeed a problem.
  • ImYoungxD
    ImYoungxD Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Make sure your pressuretrol is on .5 with differential of 1. You'll be saving $
  • DetroitSteamer
    DetroitSteamer Member Posts: 19
    Options
    ImYoungxD said:

Make sure your pressuretrol is on .5 with differential of 1. You'll be saving $

Boiler builds no pressure as confirmed by my 0-3psi gauge. Pressuretrol is set as low as possible, and never shuts the boiler down.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    My mains are still wrapped in asbestos too. Good shape, been painted several times over the years. I'll be dead from old age before that stuff can kill me. :D
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    > @DetroitSteamer said:
    > Make sure your pressuretrol is on .5 with differential of 1. You'll be saving $
    >
    > Boiler builds no pressure as confirmed by my 0-3psi gauge. Pressuretrol is set as low as possible, and never shuts the boiler down.

Your pressuretrol is the same as mine, it's just a safety limit, not a throttling device. In my opinion that's how it should be. Never actually used. The system limits the pressure.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    Vent rads based on proximity to to the boiler and size of the rad, ie, the first floor may need G4's on 4 column rads and G5's on 6 column, the second floor may need a combination of the same or G6's on the 6 columns to make them heat evenly. It may take some trial and error to balance the rads but the most important thing is to get your mains vented properly before you do anything with the rads.

You said you installed Big Mouths, how long and what diameter are your mains? One might not be enough to vent the system properly.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    > @gfrbrookline said:
    > Vent rads based on proximity to to the boiler and size of the rad, ie, the first floor may need G4's on 4 column rads and G5's on 6 column, the second floor may need a combination of the same or G6's on the 6 columns to make them heat evenly. It may take some trial and error to balance the rads but the most important thing is to get your mains vented properly before you do anything with the rads.
    >
    > You said you installed Big Mouths, how long and what diameter are your mains? One might not be enough to vent the system properly.

Hes not building pressure and the system is balanced. Why are you troubleshooting his venting?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    ChrisJ, I was responding to Imyoungxd's comment about venting the rads. Detroitsteamer stated it gets warmer upstairs when the boiler runs longer on cold days, so he may benefit from slower venting on the warmer rooms.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    > @gfrbrookline said:
    > ChrisJ, I was responding to Imyoungxd's comment about venting the rads. Detroitsteamer stated it gets warmer upstairs when the boiler runs longer on cold days, so he may benefit from slower venting on the warmer rooms.

Ah.

Sorry, my misunderstanding.