Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Webstone valves for primary secondary

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
I saw these valves, I’m the first one to say press is great. Gets me in and out very fast https://www.supplyhouse.com/Webstone-88655-1-1-4-x-1-1-4-Press-Full-Port-Brass-Ball-Valve-w-Reversible-Handle-Primary-Secondary-Loop-Purge-Tee
Spacificle for a condensing boiler in a closet where there is no space I’m going to call the rep on Monday.

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    2 copper press tees will accomplish the same thing at a fraction of the cost. The only extra labor is cutting and prepping one very short piece of copper pipe.
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Keep in mind putting a valve between two closely spaced tees is like moving the branches 2 feet apart.

A standard ball valve is about 4' of EL, full port maybe 1/2 that. You are adding a bit of pressure drop between closely spaced tees when you put in a valve.

It may, or will induce some flow to the branches. Maybe not enough to cause problems, so make sure the valve is worth the pressure drop.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    My follow up question is would it matter what side the heating loop or the boiler loop is on. Could I go either way, it doesn’t look no worse then what webstone has for navien with the flex in middle of the valves. https://www.supplyhouse.com/Webstone-5FK4-WIF-1-1-4-Sweat-Complete-Near-Boiler-Manifold-Piping-Kit-for-Wall-Hung-Boilers?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIheGbjeC53gIVg5-fCh3zSQ43EAQYASABEgLd5vD_BwE
    I kinda like the first product I put up there.
  • hot_rod
    Do you want the boiler in the primary or secondary loop?

I always considered anything that went in and out of the branches to be a secondary load, straight thru the primary flow. The boiler could be in either loop depending on you piping logic.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Those injun-eeeearrrrs I work with always call it an injection loop. They dont recognize the phrase primary/secondary.

I always associate injection as variable speed, but I guess.....
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • hot_rod
    I suppose injection would be a fair way to describe it, as long as the closely spaced tees are involved. You only have a P/S piping if two tees are spaced and piped properly. That is the biggest mistake I see, lack of the tees on the same pipe.

These schematics could be considered injection loops with fixed speed circs used.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    I've always had trouble deciding what to call it when the boiler and loads are both "secondary" loops off the primary. I like the term Injection Loop, that would eliminate a lot of confusion. Thanks