Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Software advice for small heating and cooling mom pop business

Options
51fordf1
51fordf1 Member Posts: 5
Anyone have any good ideas on software or combination of packages to tie together operations/scheduling/dispatch with flat rate pricing and some sort of inventory control. We had looked into Service Titan and Field Edge. Sometimes it seems companies are most interested in making a sale and signing a contract. Don't want to get married having to find surprises as you go along. We experienced a lot of wheeling and dealing, today's special... Still not sure of what the features are. Asking a flat rate software company about inventory and get a response what? And the flat rate has to be a subscription with monthly billing. We are a 5 truck company doing all plumbing, heating, and AC residential service. We use Quickbooks for accounting, have no operations software, had used Aporta Flat Rate software, and have no inventory system. Help!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Do you plan on growing beyond 5 trucks? Rumor is ST is complicated, but powerful and price seems to vary depending on who you talk to at the company. It is one of the more popular programs currently, it can do all you ask.
    A learning curve involved with any software system, could be steep depending on the commitment of you and your team.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • 51fordf1
    51fordf1 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    We may grow but simply want to get more efficient. I asked Ellen also, who likes it. Tracking inventory is important and keeping propermarkup. I never see much on softwre in PM magazine. Fortunately many contractors can still operate in the stone age. Thanks for the input. Many of us are isolated running PHC businesses, unless you belong to Nextar or the like. Thanks for the input! Tom
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    Try getjobber.com for software to run the business with. We love it. And we just started using Sortly.com for inventory and am loving that too..ive spent thousands trying to find something that works for a little biz. These are what i settled on.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    51fordf1 said:

We may grow but simply want to get more efficient. I asked Ellen also, who likes it. Tracking inventory is important and keeping propermarkup. I never see much on softwre in PM magazine. Fortunately many contractors can still operate in the stone age. Thanks for the input. Many of us are isolated running PHC businesses, unless you belong to Nextar or the like. Thanks for the input! Tom

Seems from my time in the business, industry specific softwares don't seem to stay around for years. As you know they are a support intensive product for a manufacturer.

Maybe they don't generate enough cash to pay a support team, maybe the designers and programmers move on, who knows.

The best is to keep asking around. Trade shows and PHCC events usually have many software providers, but they all claim to be "the best"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream