Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Insulation Direct contact with radiant plates in ceiling ???

heathead
heathead Member Posts: 237
I know that the Thermofin plates work better with direct insulation contact. I have a first floor with the plates and am putting r-15 rockwool up against. Then under that floor I am doing radiant Ceiling heat in basement. I am skipping some stud bays for the ceiling. Am I better to also have direct insulation contact against those plates also. That would put it at r-30 for interior space. If it will help the feel of radiant energy in the basement I will do that?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    If there is no height issue, and were only talking a few inches, I would fill the bays with insulation, use something foil-faced as ceiling sheathing or even a warmboard type foil faced board, then radiant loops, then drywall.
    You'll need sleepers if your not using a warmboard type product.
    And some luck when your drywalling...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited October 2018
    Yes direct contact against plates. Also do an extra good job air sealing, and insulting the rim joist area. Also you need to have good contact with plate to drywall plane, or conduction will be lost.

Roth makes a nice panel system that works well for floor, or ceiling radiant. Foam panel with aluminum sheet bonded to foam with the pex channels.