Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam boiler loosing water

Options
Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
Here are some of the priameters

Utica 5 section boiler
1 pipe system using both take off but doing so individually.
One has an equalizer one doesn’t
Each one has some sort of zone valve on and do two opposite parts of building with two thermostat.
The manual calls for 3 inch pipe and only has 2 inch
There is a condensation pump on one side of building which make sense because that’s the side that goes up 20 feet in the gym then drops down to some type of air heat exchanger. Have too see if pump is pumping and check valve is working.
With all this going on and the few things done wrong would that contribute to water disappearing in the site glass.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Does the water return back to the normal level when the boiler is not running? It sounds like the boiler is piped wrong but we need pictures to verify that. Those boilers have side tappings and are very sensitive to being properly plumbed. When was the last time some piping work was done on this boiler? Has it ever been skimmed? When did this problem first occur? Are there any underground returns? It could be any number of things, a leak somewhere in the system, poor near boiler piping, bad check valve, failed condensate pump, needs skimming, anything at this point. Pictures of as much of the system as possible, please.
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    definitely piped wrong boiler is 4 years old and already had the sections changed under warranty was re-piped when someone installed the new boiler. ( I was called because the original plumber didn't come back. )
    it occurred when the new boiler was installed , with that being said it ran for past 50 years.
    no pipes under ground.
    I have to go back Monday to install the correct pilot tube. old one rotted off.
  • Fred
    Options
    Does it actually lose water or does the water level return to normal after the boiler shuts down? It may just need a good skim. Most "plumbers" don't do that, like they should.
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    No it doesn’t work it way back up the site glass. Another interesting fact is that they have an automatic water feeder I think it was either McDonald and miller or a hydro lever. But it wasn’t working we just put water in it manually.
  • Fred
    Options
    If the water doesn't return and you see no indications of water on the floor, no wet ceilings or walls, that water is hold up somewhere in the system/returns and will likely back up until it starts to hammer and spill out of main or radiator vents. Time to check that pump and check valve. Is there a condensate tank that overflows into a drain?
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    The customer showed me the condensation pump. I’m going to investigate that Monday and see what’s going on.