Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Yet another one piped wrong - and more

Options
Mike_Sheppard
Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
edited October 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
This one is a brand new boiler.

I came to this property last heating season because the owner wanted a second opinion on his boiler. His previous company had told him that it was piped wrong and the sections needed to be replaced. There was a big hole in a section right at the water line.

I wrote up a whole report for him. Complete with pictures from the install manual and references from Dan’s book. He had the boiler and the burner replaced but fixed nothing else.

And the kicker is - the wet returns were leaking - BADLY. Boiler was constantly dumping fresh water.

The wet return leak is now so bad that the boiler won’t run, the feeder can’t keep up while it’s making steam.

In April I came back. The owner wanted to know what maintenance he needed to have done in the off season. I explained the maintenance, showed him the maintenance in the manual, and again explained the piping and the leaking wet return.

He had none of it done.

Well here we are again, at the beginning of heating season and now the dig up wet return replacement is an emergency and they have no heat.
Never stop learning.

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    It's sad that some wait till the ship is sinking fast before they decide to replace the appliance. And of course it always happens when it gets colder. Golden Rules of Hydronics.
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    Options
    It is what it is I guess. It’s still an expensive job but now it’s an expensive job and cold outside...
    Never stop learning.
    1Matthias