Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need advice. New SIPS construction, Hydronic slab on grade, Mod Con combi or Stand boiler / On DHW

Options
2»

Comments

• The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,216
    Options
    I do have return temperature protection. Simple bypass piping has been the recommended method of boiler protection in high mass/low temp. systems by every boiler manufacturer I've ever seen since the beginning of time, it seems. Burnham, Weil, Dunkirk, Peerless, etc. At first, I didn't understand how it works, but now see it much more clearly and it does work. Most gravity conversion systems with new boilers I've worked on over the past 25 years don't even use bypass piping, and there tends to be more rust at the end of the heating season in the pan than I like, but they run this way for decades without major problems.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • DAVIDSEIDEL
    DAVIDSEIDEL Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Big thanks to GroundUP. Talked to him quite awhile today.
    And rather than continue down my merry path to hell with the homemade insulated box, I am going back to separate boiler in the garage. I worked so hard on that damned thing! Thought it was a really great idea too! Not so much.
    David
    DZoroRich_49GroundUp
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,919
    Options
    It was nice talking to you David, thanks for the call. I hope you come up with a good solution soon! Winter is on the way ;-)
    DZoro
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,208
    Options

I do have return temperature protection. Simple bypass piping has been the recommended method of boiler protection in high mass/low temp. systems by every boiler manufacturer I've ever seen since the beginning of time, it seems. Burnham, Weil, Dunkirk, Peerless, etc. At first, I didn't understand how it works, but now see it much more clearly and it does work. Most gravity conversion systems with new boilers I've worked on over the past 25 years don't even use bypass piping, and there tends to be more rust at the end of the heating season in the pan than I like, but they run this way for decades without major problems.

And boiler manufacturers still show and sometimes ship boilers with circ on the return, purger and expansion on the boiler supply. Yet year after year we deal with chronic air problems here, directly related to that poor practice. At least 3 threads currently.

I'd suggest the bypass piping for pump had more to do with preventing thermal shock than return protection, as that was a more realistic scenario with large piping and high mass rads. A big cold slug of 68F water hitting a 180F block.

Weil learned years ago with the GV to build in return protection as those boilers were applied to low temp high mass systems, a simple Hoffmann 3 way thermostatic first, injection pump in later series.

Same with Burnham Revolution, built in return protection. Lochinvar has return protection built into some of their copper fin boilers now. The Germans use a 140F aquastat to toggle the circuit on and off.

So I'd say the boiler manufacturers understand the importance of effective return protection.

I think a 200 dollar valve eliminates the problem. If you can't sense and respond to that temperature condition you may not have 100% protection.

If your method works, and you have it dialed in, I'd say stick with it.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • DAVIDSEIDEL
    Options
    Well, now I have a plan. Going to go with HTP UFT-80 or Westinghouse WBRUNG080W.
    Good turn down ratio, Indirect DHW, cheap enough, and I can put one in the house and one in the shop. The lines between the buildings could still be used in the event one or the other went out.
    And.......with duplicate units, maybe troubleshooting later would be easier. I also tried to get a price on an IBC SL 10-85 G3.
    Wow, you would think I was trying to build a rocket or something. Called IBC, transferred to some distributor, to some guy at heating company. Absolutely cannot get the bottom line for a price. What the hell? Is it big secret........Oh we have this great boiler. How much is it? Well, ah,,,,
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    ^ FWIW- even though they're the same exact boiler... no professional will service the Westinghouse WBRUNG080W (because they know it's a web-only boiler).
    Not good when it fails on a 2deg sat night!

Stay with the HTP version for your own sanity.
  • DAVIDSEIDEL
    Options
    Will do....... and thanks!
    David