Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Valve used for venting. Possible?

Options
Hi everyone.

I find myself back every year out of frustration. I live on a third floor apartment with 5 radiators, 4 of the 5 heat up with no problem. The fifth in the living room, largest of the bunch, furthest from the boiler, and home of the Tstat, seldom if ever heats up.

There is one main vent but not connected to the line with the longest run.

Last night I ran the system for the first time with the vent removed from the problematic radiator. Low and behold for the first time in 3 years, heated up entirely. Room heated up and the system cycled off when temp was reached.

I have the remaining 4 radiators on adjustable turned all the way down for slow venting and still no luck with the large radiator.

I might go out and buy all new vents for the four working but I am afraid the problem radiator will still have issues with lack of venting.

Is it possible to convert the radiator valve on the large radiator to act like a main vent?

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    What size vent do you have on it currently?
    Gorton has a radiator vent that vents at the same rate as their smaller main vent that may work for your situation.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    Options
    You are a rental tenant, right? Why isn't this your landlord's problem to solve? You don't say where you are located, but where I live, in the Midwest, "apartment" always means rental.