Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smell pilot when damper Is closed on hw boiler

Options
itzasean
itzasean Member Posts: 71
edited October 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
I feel like the fumes aren’t getting pulled into the small hole in the damper when it’s closed for the pilot only. I tried to blow out a match and watch to see if the smoke would get pulled into the flue and it just lingered around the opening . If I do the test at the chimney clean-out it sucks the smoke up the chimney fine . Can I manually open the automatic damper without hurting it to see if it will suck the smoke up while open? My concern is a blockage and the plumber won’t be here for 10 days for the annual maintenance? Thank you

Comments

• DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    I believe there is a manual open switch on the damper. You could move the switch to open until service tech arrives.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Do the match/smoke test on your water heater.
    It looks like they share the same chimney.
  • itzasean
    Options
    Well I did the test when I opened the door of the chimney clean out and it worked fine . I want to make sure the flue isn’t clogged . You
  • itzasean
    Options
    Update . So I opened the damper by shutting off the pilot then turning up the thermostat. Then I tried the match test and it pulled in the smoke. I’m surprised the small hole in damper when closed didn’t do the trick but seems fine now .
  • Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    Options
    I wonder if your pilot flame is set too high? It can be adjusted.
    itzasean
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    If theres definitely good draft with the damper open, then,
    after everything is back on line, turn up the thermostat. When the flue damper fully opens and the burners fire, there is manual open switch on the damler motor. Switch it to manual. You'll lose a speck of efficiency but it's fine until the maintenance is done.