Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco Zone Valve Fail?

Options
I just turned my heat back on for the winter and my upstairs zone did not come on. There is hot water up until the Taco Zone Valve and then it's cold thereafter. I tried moving the switch all the way down to "open" and still nothing. Shouldn't that manually send the hot water up into that zone?

Comments

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Is it a gold series heat motor zone valve?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • runningman
    runningman Member Posts: 3
    Options
    It's the Taco 571-2 like this.

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    Does the pump come on when you move the lever into the manual open position?
  • runningman
    runningman Member Posts: 3
    Options

Does the pump come on when you move the lever into the manual open position?

No I don't think so. How would I know? A few different times I moved it to open and noticed no change at all. I left it that way for 30 minutes and still nothing. No hot water on opposite side of Valve.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    Do you have others zone valves which open and the pump comes on with a call for heat?
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Depending on the kind of pump, you should hear some whirring if you put your ear near it. Using a volt/ amp meter there should be voltage (check the electrical nameplate for proper voltage) at the circulator terminals and some amp draw. If neither, it is an electrical problem. If volts and no amps or the pump is not on it is probably the circulator pump. There should be 24 volts at terminals 1 and 2 of the zone valve. If not, it is electrical. If so, the valve should open after a time delay. The manual lever, does it push down easily or is there a lot of resistance? If it moves easily, the valve is open and there is another reason the pump is off. If a lot of resistance, the valve is not open and the operator head is bad if 24V is at 1 and 2. I have seen the seat inside the valve come apart, but it is rare. There could be low or no boiler pressure or air in the system if pump is on and no circulation.