Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heavy doesn't describe it well

Options
Tom_133
Tom_133 Member Posts: 888
Fellow Wallies,

I am currently bidding on a job that has us pulling 2 Cleaver brooks boilers FLX 200-300. I am curious how many have had to move these big behemoths around and how you did it? The job is calling for the removal of one at a time and then replace with the new which makes sense, no heating down time most importantly no loss of hot water.

I need to put a number to removal, so I was hoping to lean on your experience moving these monsters in and out. Sadly they are in a basement, they are about 15' to the door and on a 4" raised pad. I dont know exactly how to describe the exit door but its 10-12' wide and the stairs can be removed. I dont think you could use a crane but a really big fork truck could be an option.

Or can these boilers come apart?

Thanks

Tom

Tom
Montpelier Vt

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,438
    Options
    I would sub contract that out to a 3rd party that does just that type of thing. Section by section would be the only safe way to get them out.
    GBartdelta TCLamb
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Exactly, YOU DO NOT MOVE THESE, THAT'S WHAT RIGGERS ARE FOR

those units weigh about 6000 lbs, you need a good rigger to survey and price it out, we've had to have walls removed and other wonderful things by a third contractor, the fact that they want to do this in stages is going to jack the price up but it's understandable. This is the statement in their manual--

Fig. 1-1 Lifting the Boiler
    Suitable equipment adequate to safely lift and support the weight of the boiler within the restrictions of the chain angles should be on hand when the boiler arrives at the site. Approximate shipping weights for Cleaver-Brooks FLX boilers are listed in the Appendix, Table 1.
    If roller dollies are used to transport the boiler, they should be positioned under the base rails at the lifting
    lugs. If pipes or other rollers are used to move the boiler, the boiler must be supported by at least three evenly spaced rollers at all times.
    ******CAUTION! In order to avoid damage to the unit, lifting or moving the boiler should only be done by experienced personnel with suitable equipment for moving heavy industrial
    equipment.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    I don't think they're lifting. I think it's cutting torch time. I've never did one even close to that big, but even for resi or light comm, I bring in my scrap guy.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    We sub it out to a scrapper that cuts them up. It is around $3K to $4K per boiler
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,605
    Options
    The FLX is a water tube boiler not a fire tube. You can take it/cut it apart fairly easily.

Two ways out.

Rig it out in 1 pc

or cut it up
    and take out in pieces. Without seeing it it's hard to tell which way is the best.

Either way what I would do is disconnect gas, oil, water and electrical before the rigger/scrapper gets on the job as they are sure to RUIN something.

Get a price from a rigger to remove in 1 pc (it probably went in that way)

Get a price from a scrapper to cut it up and choose which is best

either way their is scrap value to consider