Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gorton No. 4 on baseray steam rads

Options
I have a 3 story row house style condo building circa 1915 roughly 10K sq. ft. with single pipe steam which is located on a corner so half the units are sandwiched between the corner units and the building next door, thus much more insulated. At some point the top floor sandwiched unit had the freestanding radiators replaces with baseray which have a vent tap on top of the opposite side as the feed valve and are vented with Hoffman 41's. The current unit owner is complaining that it is over heating, it is quite warm up there so I am not going to argue the point since I think the baserays are larger than the freestanding radiators that were removed. Would it cause any problems if I put straight shank Gorton No. 4's on the baseray's to slow them down.

I know this will come up so I will answer ahead of the obvious questions. I have two mains the short one is vented with two big mouths and a dipped return with a Gorton No. 2, the second is vented with three big mouths and a dipped return vented with a big mouth. The second main is longer and larger, it feeds all of the large radiators in the main rooms. Both heat evenly. The vaporstat is set at 18oz cut out and a 4oz cut in. The temperature in all of the other units is even within a degree.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    You can also use a Hoffman 1A adjustable vent. One setting #1, it is even slower than the Gorton #4. On setting #2, it is about equal to the Gorton #4.
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    Thanks, I have very limited access to the unit, that's a whole other story but not for here. I attempted Ventrite #1 at one point but she kept turning them off which screwed everyone else's heat up. I like the #4 because she can't do anything to it, I don't think there is a nonadjustable that vents slower.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    I suspect the #4 may be perfect for your application. However, I will admit we rarely use them unless it's on the heat emitter in the room with the thermostat.
  • Neild5
    Neild5 Member Posts: 167
    Options
    You might want to consider a TRV, I know it will affect the balance of the reest of the units but it might be cheaper than open windows.
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    Thanks, I have Danfoss TRV's on her bedroom radiators which I had to set to limit the amount of adjustment because again she kept turning them off and it made all of the units below overheat. The unit represents over 20% of our edr so taking it all off line would screw the balance up, the boiler is also oversized by about 25%.

Not that concerned about the open windows because she is the only unit in the building that doesn't have a temperature sensor that controls the Tstat. She refused to let us install one because she thought it was too intrusive and it's not worth the fight since she would just keep taking the batteries out of the sensor.