Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thread cutting oil?

Options
Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
Got my new very old threader working great. Didn’t have cutting oil at my shop. What’s the worst that can happen using motor oil mixed with some cutting oil?
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,739
    Options
    From what I've seen working in a machine shop, almost any oil will work fairly good when cutting metal.

For example, even WD40 is 100X better than dry. Motor oil will probably cut threads 80-90% as good as proper cutting oil.

That said, I would still get some good cutting oil and clean the thing out.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 661
    Options
    Back when I was a teenager, my dad and I installed a hot water heating system in our house. Sears designed the whole system and sold the whole kit; boiler, copper tubing, circ pump, baseboard rads, expansion tank, etc. Kit even included use of pipe vice, threading dies, and cutting oil. Back then the cutting oil was lard oil.

Today, you can get better cutting oil at any hardware store, although in a pinch melted lard or bacon grease would work okay.

Keep in mind that black pipe can be pretty nasty stuff to thread, compared to many steels that a machinist would see. Good quality cutting oil frequently contains sulfur and/or other compounds to help improve the machinability needed to get decent threads
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
    ChrisJkcopp
  • ChrisJ
    edited October 2018
    Options
    > @Pumpguy said:
    > Back when I was a teenager, my dad and I installed a hot water heating system in our house. Sears designed the whole system and sold the whole kit; boiler, copper tubing, circ pump, baseboard rads, expansion tank, etc. Kit even included use of pipe vice, threading dies, and cutting oil. Back then the cutting oil was lard oil.
    >
    > Today, you can get better cutting oil at any hardware store, although in a pinch melted lard or bacon grease would work okay.
    >
    > Keep in mind that black pipe can be pretty nasty stuff to thread, compared to many steels that a machinist would see. Good quality cutting oil frequently contains sulfur and/or other compounds to help improve the machinability needed to get decent threads

Black pipe is a joy to thread compared to 304 and 316 stainless. Unfortunately I get to work mostly with stainless.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    I used to swear by the "dark" cutting oil like Hercules. But lately our shop buys the Ridgid Clear. I used to have bad luck with this stuff but it seems to work really well for me now. Maybe they changed the formula.

Cutting oil works the best but in a pinch when I ran out I have used motor oil, wd40 etc with mixed results
  • Timco
    Options
    Every time.

Headed for real cutting oil and dies if I can find them. The seem sharp as hell but I’ll start over. When it bogs down I know it’s doing this.
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    Options
    We’ve had bad batches of 1 1/2 pipe before. every time it would do this.. picked up a new piece and everything cut fine
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    > @SeanBeans said:
    > We’ve had bad batches of 1 1/2 pipe before. every time it would do this.. picked up a new piece and everything cut fine

That's what I was thinking when I saw it. I had some that it kept ripping the threads off randomly
  • Timco
    Options
    Lol. It’s the fluid. Motor oil just does not do it. Used actual dark cutting oil and it works great.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    > @Timco said:
    > Lol. It’s the fluid. Motor oil just does not do it. Used actual dark cutting oil and it works great.

Did you use the same dies?
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Joe's only guess was it's because an EG40 and EG45 are identical except the 40 has one less burner tube and a modified and baffled draft hood. I converted mine down to a 40 so I had the parts from the 45 here.

His guess was it was just pulling to much air though the block / burners because it's actually laid out and designed for another burner tube.

I don't know.... I just thought it was odd no one actually knew what the issue was. We did exactly what Tim and Jim said to do.
  • Timco
    Options
    Yes
    ChrisJ said:

> @Timco said:

> Lol. It’s the fluid. Motor oil just does not do it. Used actual dark cutting oil and it works great.

Did you use the same dies?

• nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Options
    Crisj,
    The key to cutting stainless is to keep it cool, if you are drilling it, drill at slow speed, with lots of pressure, try not to drill pilot holes unless absolutely necessary, then drill a very small pilot hole. Avoid using abrasive cutting discs, as they heat the stainless.
    If you are cutting threads, try to work slowly and use a lot of pressure, try to avoid making two passes, some people use water just to keep the material cool, which is more important than lubrication.
    Stainless is very soft (like cheese) unless you allow it to work harden, then it crystallizes, and becomes hard as hades.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    > @nibs said:
    > Crisj,
    > The key to cutting stainless is to keep it cool, if you are drilling it, drill at slow speed, with lots of pressure, try not to drill pilot holes unless absolutely necessary, then drill a very small pilot hole. Avoid using abrasive cutting discs, as they heat the stainless.
    > If you are cutting threads, try to work slowly and use a lot of pressure, try to avoid making two passes, some people use water just to keep the material cool, which is more important than lubrication.
    > Stainless is very soft (like cheese) unless you allow it to work harden, then it crystallizes, and becomes hard as hades.

For threading stainless I've switched to form threading recently as long as the customer allowes it. So far, I like it.

Work hardening is something that took me a while to learn about and a lot of pain.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    @nibs is correct about stainless which is a P I T A. The slowest speed possible. I burned up a few drill bits and hole saws drilling on SS electrical disconnects before I figured it out
  • ChrisJ
    edited October 2018
    Options
    > @EBEBRATT-Ed said:
    > @nibs is correct about stainless which is a P I T A. The slowest speed possible. I burned up a few drill bits and hole saws drilling on SS electrical disconnects before I figured it out

Drilling stainless is easy.
    I spend most of my time milling it.

The real fun comes when you snap a tap off in it.
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Options
    Jim Webb, an owner of Keypower Hydraulics in Richmond BC told me how to work stainless, in the mid '70's. I will always be grateful.