Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this normal?

Options
Peter_26
Peter_26 Member Posts: 129
When I flipped the top cover open to our Vaillant GA92-100 I noticed that there were black marks from what seemed to be a breach in the seal between the draft diverter box and the heat exchanger. I also noticed the back bottom of the diverter box is open, is this the way it was made? Has anyone worked one on of these?
I think it's re branded as a Peerless model too, but back in the 80's. I have the parts list , but the size of the fiberglass rope seal is not listed. Does anyone know what size it should be?

The heat exchanger definitely needs some wire brushing!

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    You can pull the smoke hood off and reseal it. You can also use "kaowool blanket" which is what I would use. You can get this at a good oil burner supply house. Clean it off well . You can attach it with spray glue if you want. Some would seal it with red rtv silicone but I would use kaowool
  • Peter_26
    Options
    So, I am assuming the open bottom of the box is normal, just gotta fix the seal then?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Yes, that stays open. It provides dilution air for draft.
    Westwood Products will have kaowool gasket in different widths. It comes in a roll. Use spray adhesive like Ed said.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Options
    If the exhaust venting is that black, looks like the boiler is sooting up. This is not good and the boiler needs to be checked for proper draft or other combustion issues. It is almost guaranteed that the boiler is producing very high levels of CO, which can be deadly. Find out and correct the problem before even using the boiler. I would also check any other gas appliances, (i.e. Water heater) as they may not be working properly either.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    GBart
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Something is seriously wrong here and it isn't the rope gasket, look at the pic of the jacket and all the holes for piping etc show signs of exhaust leaking back, YOU NEED A PROFESSIONAL TO LOOK AT THIS, YOU ARE NOT VENTING YOUR EXHAUST AND YOU HAVE BEEN GETTING CARBON MONOXIDE ......do we have any CO detectors?
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Options
    just out of curiosity why did you take your entire jacket off??
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Carbonized gas boiler , nasty issue.... Boiler need to be throughly cleaned of carbon, burners need to be cleaned , pressures checked and adjusted. Need an analyzer to check combustion ..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Peter_26
    Options
    The gas valve was failing. When there was a call for heat the pilot would shoot up over a foot. Otherwise the pilot would work normally. So we decided to go to electronic ignition to replace standing pilot. Since I knew the gas valve was defective I wanted to see the heat exchanger and look at what condition it was in for service. I can clean the heat exchanger but I will have to get someone in to adjust the gas valve and check the efficiency and CO levels.