Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco circulator leaking

wrooper
wrooper Member Posts: 58
Hi all
Mostly posting this for other users in my situation.

I have a bronze Taco 006 that developed a small leak where the cartridge housing meets the casing. Upon disassembly I noted the o ring that seals this area had failed. [I initially thought someone had used RTV to seal it because the condition was so bad]

The Taco part is called "casing o ring" [part # 007-003RP,apparently fits many circulators]. Taco sells it for $24 and no local supplier had it. Since this was my domestic hot water I couldn't imagine wife would put up with 3 days waiting.

I was able to determine the size was 2 3/8" OD with a 0.10" cross section with corresponds to a #139 o ring. Great now I can get 25 of them for $6 on ebay/Grainger etc but still have to wait for delivery.

A local industrial supply said their largest was a #120 but that they had an older display in the back of the store that was a mess and I was welcome to look. Took my trusty micrometer with me and eureka ! ,they sold me 2 for 50 cents.

I did use 2 dabs of RTV to hold the new o ring in place during reassembly but it sealed fine. Now I just have to hope my 11 year old circulator will continue to work long enough to justify the effort....

BTW have all of you had the experience that buying a "cartridge" is twice as expensive as buying a circulator? One exception might be the bronze model.....