Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

generic part to fix leaky LWCO ball valve?

Options
Motorapido
Motorapido Member Posts: 307
After rebuilding my McDonnell Miller 67 LWCO (removed float, completely cleaned the body, float and bellows and replaced both the switch and ball valve assembly gaskets), the ball valve leaks a tiny bit, not out of the stem packing and not at the gasket between the ball valve assembly and LWCO body, but from the ball itself and out through the discharge pipe. McDonnell Miller doesn't sell a replacement metal flange and nylon washer which comprise the sealing apparatus against the rotating ball. Instead, they charge a shocking price for the entire component. Does anybody know if the nylon or teflon or whatever washer that is trapped by the flange against the ball is a standard/stock type of a part that I could pick up at a well-stocked pro plumbing supply counter? My other alternative would be to cap off the end of the discharge pipe, which terminates in garden hose threads, but that would not be an elegant solution, since I would need to remove it for the weekly blow-downs.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    You could just add another ball valve of that size after the original. Operate both for blow down and close afterwards.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Put a garden hose to pipe adapter in the MM valve and cap the hose adapter with a hose cap and washer. or add a second valve as @JUGHNE mentioned
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    A second valve just above the bucket or floor drain is better, with the old M&M valve always open. The muck will fall down the vertical drop, and not dry out and coalesce., as it is covered with water. My LWCO valve works, but the discharge pipe was plugged up every fall, when I started everything up.—NBC
  • BigErl
    BigErl Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Yes. Wal-Rich makes a dirt pocket cap. It’s the flange, gasket and mounting bolts with no ball valve. You supply a 3/4” nipple and ball valve.
    kcopp