Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pilot during summer months

Steamer1928
Steamer1928 Member Posts: 34
edited August 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello, I searched the forum but couldn’t find anything particularly germane to my question. Should I leave my boiler’s pilot on all summer? The boiler seems to be pretty warm just with the pilot and it makes the basement a little stuffy. Was wondering if there was any reason to keep the pilot on. Anything I should do besides cutting the boiler’s switch off on the thermostat and turning off the red switch for the gas?

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,039
    There actually was a very recent posting in "Gas Heating" about that very thing.
    You can certainly turn of the gas, and the emergency switch, not the thermostat, as long as it's only the pilot producing the heat. Make sure none of the burners are lit indicating a bad gas valve.
  • Steamer1928
    The pilot light seems to stay on even though I shut the emergency switch off. So I shut the valve off and that got the pilot to disappear. Is that a problem with the emergency switch?
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,422
    the emergency switch is electric shut off not gas. think of your water heater being on with no electric going to it.
  • Steamer1928
    Wow, duh!! Thank you both!