Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

drop header question

Options
Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
2 years ago i did a single drop header , some techs say i should of done as double, the system is working fine, the question is, is a single drop header better then no drop header? I also looked at union steam sight and they had a water separator has anyone ever used them?

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You’ve asked these questions before @Snowmelt, just do what you want to do. Since you’re asking again though, We’ve progressed over the years from header to drop header, single riser to multiple risers, 2” to 3”, etc. Now we always use all riser tappings into a drop header, never bush them down, and 3” is the smallest header size we will pipe. It’s become our routine and isn’t much harder or expensive. If done this way, it’s the best product out there and that’s what we like to offer.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,696
    Options
    What size boiler and what size single rise and header did you do
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    A125,000 btu union steam
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    Peerless I think 125 but it could of been100,000 it wasn’t big the one that I may put in in a few weeks is a 125,000 union steam.
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    ive used single drop headers many times and they work fine, but its the btus and manufacture instructions that determine this, if you have over a certain btu then i would definetly use two risers and especially if the manufacture recommends it!!!!!!!!!
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    Thanks newagedawn, all I see on here are double drop headers, my supply house who looks at this sight says it’s overkill sometimes. Now saying that I did a drop header one time on a repipe because the third floor rad.”furthest rad in the house” did not get any steam I did a drop header and WHAM steam made it to the rad.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,696
    Options
    You didn't say what size riser and header...
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    2 1/2 header 2 inch riser
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,534
    Options
    The manufacturers minimum requirements will work if the boiler is skimmed. If you want to add more risers, bigger header or a drop header your free to do so and spend additional $. Many on this forum do just that.

I usually calculate the velocity just for fun. If I don't like the mfg minimum piping I will change something to get what I know will work
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    i always used a 3" header, even with one riser, costs more but the result is worth it, a trouble free steamer
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"