Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydraulic separator Hot Rod

Options
cutter
cutter Member Posts: 292
I have a hydraulic separator piped in a system I would like to pressure test with air. Is this possible? I am thinking the separator would release all the air pressure. Is there some other way to do this. I can isolate the separator somewhat. Any suggestions?

Comments

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Which separator are you using? Most have removable air vents that you could plug off...
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
    Options
    Sure, if it is a Caleffi with the integral air vent, just tighten down the cap on the air vent.

But since you mentioned air testing... If you have Caleffi hydronic manifolds or any of our vents with the hydroscopic caps, they will not hold an air test. Either water needs to enter the vent and float the shut off, off, or the discs in the cap need to get wet, swell and shut off.

Our manifolds ship with black plastic caps that need to be used for air testing.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • cutter
    Options
    Hot Rod, your screen shot is the hydraulic separator I am using. I saw that little cap at the top and tried to tighten it up, but it would not tighten up. I realize now Caleffi ships the separators with the cap tight. So I loosened it up and re tightened it for the test. I am not quite ready for the test but I do feel better now.

Thanks Hot Rod
  • cutter
    Options
    delta T said:

Which separator are you using? Most have removable air vents that you could plug off...

It is a Caleffi, that was why I added Hot Rod to the heading. Thanks for the concern though, Hot Rod straightened me out.