Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Danfoss TRV

Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
edited July 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
Last week, we had to replace an Infloor mixing station and leaking Infloor manifold. When all was done, we flushed the system. The manifold flushed well, but the upstairs baseboard loop was stuck - zero flow. We removed the BB end caps to discover that one of the TRV's was lodged in the closed position. Unfortunately, I learned that you can't replace just the valve inside the body, you have to replace the whole darned thing which meant de-soldering the fittings since it was so tight to the wall. I was afraid that I'd burn the place down.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    There is a tool to remove the piston assembly in the TRV body. I happen to have one. Available from Oventrop
    Tinman
  • I see it now. Wish I'd known and my supplier couldn't help.

https://www.gsistore.com/products/003l-0213?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cse

• Bill_17
    Bill_17 Member Posts: 68
    Danfoss offers the tool as mentioned above and inserts (guts) for the valves, so the exiting valve bodies can be renewed. But, the picture appears to show a valve mounted dial & sensor above the (hot) valve. Being mounted in this position will always result in an under-heated room as it cannot sense room (ambient) temperature. If there is remote sensor on this unit, it is not seen in the photo.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    It's rare to see a TRV mounted directly on BB. Usually, the remote TRV with 6' capillary is used.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024

It's rare to see a TRV mounted directly on BB. Usually, the remote TRV with 6' capillary is used.

And ideally they should have the knob mounted horizontally so it gets air circulation thru the slots in the knob. Tough to do that on baseboard without risking damage, however.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited July 2018
    Yes, it's a funky installation and it was tough accessing the valve. The BB end cap was screwed into the wood baseboard before the TRV was installed, so we had to sawsall through the screws. Also, the setscrew that secures the operator onto the valve was facing the wall. The first picture was taken after I was able to turn the operator setscrew towards me, but by then, the setscrew wouldn't budge and I had to destroy the operator to remove it.

Paul: I hardly ever see remote operators with a capillary here in the Bay Area. I guess it wasn't a popular thing to do.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    You need a way to get the cap tube from the valve to the operator, and they are not usually very long 2- 3M typically. Ideally in a conduit in case you need to replace the operator head.
    A limited application.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream