Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.


cgregory Member Posts: 6
I have change to install a wood gasification boiler, and already have a 500-gallon thermal reservoir. My question is, with the boiler operating under pressure (20-30 lbs.) and a circulator pump feeding the hot water to the rooms, what do I need to get the heat transferred from the boiler to the reservoir and from the reservoir to the circulator pump?


  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 18,805
    You need a heat exchanger. Most commonly they use copper or stainless coils in the tank. DHW can be generated also via a coil in the tank.

    Here is some design info.


    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,526
    This is a pressurized boiler, might I ask why we aren't pressurizing the storage vessel as well? We often do this in reverse, using an atmospheric outdoor wood boiler to heat a plate exchanger on the source side. The load side of the plate (including storage) is pressurized and has a circ between the plate and storage tank, operated by a sensor in the tank. The load side of the storage then has another circ(s) to distribute heat to the zone(s). Pressurizing the entire system would eliminate the need for an exchanger, and ease the load on the system circ.
  • cgregory
    cgregory Member Posts: 6