Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Seeking recs for an outdoor NG-fired boiler for RFH and a small snow melting zone.

JohnNYJohnNY Member Posts: 2,135
Hello people,
Does anyone have any experience with an outdoor-rated boiler to mount on the outside of a bulkhead to make space heating? I'll only need around 80-120 MBH roughly.
For installations, troubleshooting, and private consulting services, find John "JohnNY" Cataneo here at :
"72°F, LLC"
Or email John at [email protected]
John is a professional Master Plumber, licensed by The Department of Buildings of The City of New York, and works extensively in NYC while consulting for clients in and out of state.

Comments

• hot rod_7hot rod_7 Member Posts: 9,138
    All the copper tube brands have outdoor versions. Looking for a non condenser I assume?

Lochinvar announced an outdoor Knight version recently. The OKN looks like 80- 399. It does mention 35° or warmer areas?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
  • JohnNYJohnNY Member Posts: 2,135
    Hi @hot rod,
    I wasn't thinking non-condensing but perhaps I should be and that 35° tolerance isn't going to work unless I create some type of enclosure.
    Lots to think about here I suppose. Thanks for your reply.
    Best,
    JC
    For installations, troubleshooting, and private consulting services, find John "JohnNY" Cataneo here at :
    "72°F, LLC"
    John is a professional Master Plumber, licensed by The Department of Buildings of The City of New York, and works extensively in NYC while consulting for clients in and out of state.
  • RomanPRomanP Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2018
    Hi @JohnNY

Do you have a preferred brand? I’d call sales rep at your local supplier to start digging up some info, as I personally haven’t encountered outdoor installation in our NY/NJ area. Enclosure sounds legit though, some 2”x4” framing on perimeter, insulated and you can pretty much install anything you want. Condensate disposal could get tricky a little bit, since I made couple of minor mistakes in the past lol

I’ll shoot a quick text over to our local Lochinvar rep in NJ in a little while.

Good luck
  • RomanPRomanP Member Posts: 101
    I believe it has to be non-condensing for an outdoor installation
  • JohnNYJohnNY Member Posts: 2,135
    RomanP said:

I believe it has to be non-condensing for an outdoor installation

Makes sense.

"72°F, LLC"