Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to Talk Me Out Of It

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited May 2018 in THE MAIN WALL

How to Talk Me Out Of It

You want to sell me extended warranties? Wait a year or so. Right now, when I’m making up my mind about spending all this money, is not the time to tell me all about how lousy my future is going to be and how none of these products are made in heaven.

Read the full story here

Paul Pollets

Comments

• LarryK
    LarryK Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Consumer Reports will tell you almost all extended warranties are a bad deal. They are really very expensive insurance policies backed by a disinterested third party. A service contract is entirely different.
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Great story, Dan. I bought a used car from a rental company a few years ago. Bought that extended warranty; so far haven't had to use it. But the original credit agreement they offered me was at a relatively high interest. Only when i started walking out the door did they suddenly find a new deal that had magically just arrived in their office--slashed the interest by 2/3. Amazing when that happens. Trust 'em as far as you can throw 'em....
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Four daughters? Lucky man!
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Bought a new washer and dryer last week to replace the high dollar "top of the line" pieces of crap I bought 3 years ago that have never worked right. Went back to the old school top load agitator type, which came with a 3 year warranty. The extended warranty they tried to sell me was an additional 2 years, and cost almost half what the new units cost. Sure was no appeal there
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You didn't have to pay for the lifetime warranty on a TT or SS indirect, but it sure was needed, because they're notorious leakers.
    The movie "Tommy Boy" had a good saying about warranties, but it's not fit for print here.
    "Fat guy in a little coat."
    GroundUp