Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Steam Supply Valve Re-packing?

dkirkwooddkirkwood Posts: 20Member
Hi, I have a single pipe steam system that is about 100 years old. Several of the supply valves are leaking steam--i put tissue on the stem, and the tissue is fairly damp after a cycle (boiler is using a gallon a week of makeup water, and I believe leaking supply valves are a significant part of the problem)

The valves in question don't have a packing nut--the top of the valve where the stem comes through is a molded cap that threads onto the body of the valve. It has a 1 1/2" hex head, and of course, won't budge.

I am going to try a deep impact socket to see if I can get the cap off--but I am wondering...given the design of the valve--is it possible there are no servicable parts inside--e.g., no packing?

Anyone familiar with this type of valve? Any thoughts?

I figure fixing the valves as opposed to remove/replace is preferable, as it looks to me like getting the old valves/spuds off is going to be really tough--even if I crack the valves--as the radiators are recessed in the wall, and I will need to cut the enclosure framing in order to have clearance to rotate the old valve off the threads, and a new one on the tread.

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments