Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Near boiler piping upgrade. Now I'm pumping away!

Options
SuperTech
SuperTech Member Posts: 2,166
edited April 2018 in Gas Heating
After reading Dan Holohan's books Classic Hydronics and Pumping away I was inspired to upgrade my boiler piping. I couldn't find a before picture (I had one on my old phone) but I corrected the position of all the hydronic components. I added the supervent microbubble resorber, Taco Viridian VT2218 ECM circulator and tees for the addition of another zone and an indirect tank. I still have to get zone valves and finish insulation of the pipes. Also added some 8 way boiler treatment, now I have violet colored boiler water!

Currently the boiler is a two pipe reverse return Venturi tee system. Running my AFG on a .65 80B nozzle. 425 degree stack temp, 6% O2, zero CO, 11.20% CO2 and 84.9% efficiency. I love the capabilities of the VT2218, currently set on setpoint heat mode with boiler protection on. I also have a Honeywell outdoor reset module, design temperature 10 degrees

Does anyone have any suggestions for further improvements to my set-up?

Comments

• SuperTech
    Options
    No comments? Does it look that bad?
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    edited April 2018
    Options
    How do you feel about it? That’s all that matters @SuperTech :wink: also when you say 2 pipe reverse return Venturi tee system, those are 2 different types of systems. 1) a 2-pipe reverse return 2) a Venturi tee system.
  • SuperTech
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I kinda wish I piped it primary/secondary, with the Viridian doing the primary loop and a Grundfos Alpha for the secondary zones. But that exceeded my current budget.

It's a weird system. Split loop monoflo/Venturi tee setup. I say reverse return because of the way the emmiters are piped. First one out is last to return, last one out is the first to return.

Someone at one time took out some cast iron radiators in my kitchen and installed fin tube baseboard. This makes me angry because I want to correct it. The rest of the house is nice cast iron baseboard. The downstairs zone I plan to add will be cast iron radiators. If I do that I will have to do another heat loss calculation and probably change my firing rate.

But after reading Dan's books I'm happy I did it. No one seems to understand my fascination with hydronics, so I posted here looking for feedback from the experts and fellow technicians.