Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Header advice, and other boiler replacement questions...

Options
2»

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    @Steam_Jon , you have to factor the boiler efficiency into the calculation, as per @KC_Jones' calculation above.
  • Steam_Jon
    Steam_Jon Member Posts: 19
    Options

The boiler you are considering does have 2 each 3" risers/tapings. And it is a fine boiler. If the installation is gas and in this size range, we use either your choice Weil McLain/GSA/Williamson, or Peerless. The gauges and controls are on opposite sides, so this sometimes makes the determination which we use.

You'd be safe with an EG-55 or GSA-200. But if it were us installing, we'd take a hard look at whether we could make the EG-50/GSA-175 work. Bigger is not better with steam.

You do need a new header. The steam supplies need to be piped into the header after the two risers, not one on each. Close, -but no cigar. And any contractor who didn't see this is not worth your time.

@New England SteamWorks I'm considering the Peerless 63-05L, rated for 533 SqFt, compared to my EDR calc of 501. The Williamson/Weil options are rated at 521 SqFt which is a better match, but it seems Peerless gets more praise around here. Is the difference of 12 SqFt between the two negligible?
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Yes, the difference is negligible, and as far as I am concerned, they are both equally fine boilers.

As previously stated however, if I were the contractor, I'd be looking to see if one size down could do the job better.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com