Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Heater as aqua booster/ storage tank wiring

Options
HydroNiCK
HydroNiCK Member Posts: 182
I've read all of what Ice Sailor had to say about using an electric water heater as a storage tank for a tankless coil but still am not clear on the circulator wiring. How is the water heater powered with 120v? How do I wire the lower thermostat to the circulator? Could I take 120v from anywhere and wire into the water heater's junction box then wire the circulator into the lower thermostat in place of the element? Doesn't that also power the top thermostat?

Comments

• the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    Options
    Not sure of o.p., but if the tank is preheating, then 120V elements are available. Most 40 gallon+ units are wired for 240/208.
    If it's a new circuit you could wire 120V hot to black and neutral to red. If not, you would have to disconnect the 120V hot white wore at the breaker and wire it to neutral bar.
  • the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    Options
    You can only wire the 120V hot from lower thermostat as it control hot only. Neutral could be picked up off of element. Problem with that is upper thermostat switches lower and upper has priority over lower,.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    You have to re wire the water heater. Unhook the upper stat, and re wire the lower stat to turn your pump on.
  • HydroNiCK
    Options
    DZoro said:

You have to re wire the water heater. Unhook the upper stat, and re wire the lower stat to turn your pump on.

I know that's the goal but I'm not clear on how I should go about it. I was looking for a wiring diagram or picture. After unhooking upper element.. Can I wire 120v into the water heater junction box and wire through upper thermostat.. use common leg from upper thermostat to power lower thermostat and circulator. -OR- Do i not touch junction box, remove all wiring from upper thermostat and lead 120v straight into lower thermostat to energize it and use it's element terminals to power the circulator?
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    I usually disconnect the upper stat, connect the wires from the top box directly to the lower stat. Of course remove wires to both elements, wire pump with the lower stat controlling your pump.
    HydroNiCK
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
  • HydroNiCK
    Options
    Thanks! :)