Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Polaris Panel Rad Hobby System

Options
SuperJ
SuperJ Member Posts: 609
I've got a older Polaris tank (got it for free from one of our mechanical guys) running a couple TRV'd panel rads with an Grundfos Alpha2 ECM pump. I've read a lot of negative stuff about the Polaris tanks, but so far mine seems to work ok. This system is kinda of a hobby system that I've cobbled together from spare parts.

I've cut into the set point control (orange wires) and tied in an external controller to do a outdoor reset and gain better control over cycling.

I'm running the tank off a 6inch temperature well in the top port. Currently running a 18degF differential. Getting a little more than one 6 minute cycle per hour. I'm resetting the SWT between 120F and 160F as a starting point but will tune this as I go. The intake on my venting has an annoying drone, I've read that the Polaris tanks shipped with an inlet filter, I might have to dig one up somewhere. I didn't have the fancy Tee for the exhaust so I just used a normal T and drain out the bottom. This thing condenses like crazy, even at higher SWT temps. Way more than my high efficiency furnace.

My question is: how long and hot do my cycles have to be to avoid the infamous igniter problems they're known for.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I put 4 or 5 Polaris in my area, they are all at least 11 years old, some probably more like 15. Only 1 tank warranty claim. Some require ignitors every 3 years of so, others not a frequently. I'm not sure there is an exact answer to your question, certainly the fewer cycles the better for all component wear.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SuperJ