Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

intermittent lockout on 40 series f5 riello burner

Options
elite_hvac
elite_hvac Member Posts: 1
Hey, guys. Hopefully i can get some insight here. My sister's mother in law has a Carrier low boy furnace with a Riello f5 burner. The system was installed about 6 years ago, and I recently started servicing it for her. She says that ever since installed, there has been intermittent issues where the burner goes off on reset. after taking over the service on this about 6 weeks ago, i have noticed that this is the case. This this will run like a top (although not always that way) for weeks on end and then lockout. At this time, I have done a full tune up and combustion test and have everything up to spec per manufacturer. Initially, everything was out of wack. Draft, CO, electrodes, etc. Those issues have all been resolved. A draft inducer fan was installed and the primary control and cad cell have also been replaced. It has been running beautifully for the last three weeks and the other night i received a call that it had gone off on reset again. Any ideas as to what the problem might be??

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    What's the O2 reading? Too much air on a cold start? Could be oil related. Suction leak, high vacuum.
    Why the draft inducer?
    Being intermittent, I doubt it's a burner component.
    Spec charts on an OEM Riello often have the air setting too high.
    Close down the air to a trace smoke, then slowly open for 0.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,160
    Options
    The burner will lock out because the cad cell relay was tripping. It's either not seeing the flame when it should or it is seeing flame or light (hot spot in the chamber?) when it shouldn't.
    Combustion analysis during operation will likely explain the issue.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Fuel supply , does it only happen on cold days ... Fuel line freezing . Any vacuum or high resistance… Check the porcelain look underneath for cracks . … Does your state allow corn oil to be mixed with the fuel oil ? Move to the "W" nozzle .Check the prongs on the primary holder ... Not too many hit or miss items with an Riello .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    SuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    No compression fittings.
    I would power purge the fuel system, and check for a vacuum leak. I would also ohm out the coil.
    Describe the tank, location related to burner, how the oil line is ran (1 pipe, etc.), length, line coming out of the bottom/top of tank, etc. height of burner vs bottom of tank.
    You can also slip a standard cad cell eye and wire into the air tube and read ohms, but I think it's more fuel related.
    I also wonder about the draft inducer-what were your numbers? Usually with Riello's you have too much draft.
    steve
    SuperTech
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Was the tank and line installed new at the same time as the furnace? Have you ran any oil treatment in the tank?
    D