Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking Manifold

Options
I went to a job this morning that had this leaking manifold. It looks as though they are leaking from the manifold outlet connection which sits above the compression nut which means they are leaking from a factory connection. The actuators are Mr. PEX, but I don't know who makes the stainless steel manifolds (Watts?). Unusual for a manifold to start leaking 8 years after installation, no?
The installer put a ZVC406 and a ZVC404 directly below the manifold and they both got fried.
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    is there a question in there?
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I just wondered if anyone else had the same experience and/or knew the brand of manifold.

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Kinda looks like a Rifeng manifold with the square barrel, but the flowmeters don't look like Rifeng. Watts are more tubular in my experience. I had a leaky Uponor set from the factory once upon a time that I tried fixing (weekend emergency) on site by disassembling the factory connectors and ended up wrecking the manifold. Yours appears to be leaking in multiple places- I'd cut the losses and replace it all if it were my job
    Options
    I was going that direction, but I'd have to stick with a Mr. PEX manifold unless I replace all the actuators which gets expensive. My preferred manifold is Rehau.

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    It is a Mr. Pex manifold. See Supplyhouse.Com. If they used Mr. Pex pex tubing then the pex adapters should seal ok. Pex adapters do have o-rings and they may have failed. You can replace the o-rings by using EPDM o-rings. I buy mine from O-rings America.

Make sure where the leak is coming from. If the leak is from where the adapters are screwed into the manifold, sometimes they use o-rings to make the seal. I have used lock-n-seal or locktite to permanently seal the leak at that point. It does look like the leak is at the adapter to manifold.
    Options
    It turned out that the leak was coming from the adapters where they screw into the manifold. I ended up not doing the work and the installer told me he replaced the manifold and actuators.

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    That seems a waste. We don't fix things, we're parts changers!
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I'm surprised you were able to remove them Homer, the one time I tried that they all twisted the threads out along with the adapters and were junk