Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol settings

Mike_Sheppard
Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
What do you guys normally set this specific Pressuretrol at? Am I right I’m assuming this is not the best Pressuretrol to be used for low pressure steam heating?

Would you set this at 0.5 cut in with a differential of 1?

I’ve been seeing these a lot lately instead of vaporstats. The last one I came across had the (very small) building running at 9 PSI....

And a picture of the master trap that’s here just for some facepalms...
Never stop learning.

Comments

• the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    edited March 2018
    Going to need more pictures and information. 9 psi is pretty high. Is that an equalizer with a open atmosphere drain or is that an overflow for pump?
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    that honeywell pressuretrol is a stand for low pressure steam turn it down to .5 and the system will work much better, unless there are other problems??
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    .5 and a Differential of "1" is the best you can do with that Pressuretrol. Below that, you'll want a vaporstat.
  • Mike_Sheppard
    @the_donut - the master trap picture was just for fun. 9psi was another building not this one. I was just wondering if there was a reason I keep seeing people install this pressuretrol instead of a vapor stat.

@newagedawn - it's currently operating that way already. Was just wondering why people are using this control over a vapor stat.

@Fred - thanks. Not sure why people in this area keep using these over a vaporstat. It's rare that I even see a vaporstat anymore...
    Never stop learning.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    @Mike_Sheppard , That Honeywell 404A is the standard Pressuretrol used on most 1 and 2 pipe systems. Vaporstats are great but cost a little more and are typically only required on Vapor systems that must operate at or below 12 ounces of pressure.
    I have a one pipe system and I happen to have both controls on my boiler. The Vaporstat is the primary control and the Pressuretol is a back-up, should the Vaporstat fail.
    GBart
  • Mike_Sheppard
    @Fred gotcha.
    Never stop learning.