Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Safety

BenDplumber
BenDplumber Member Posts: 50
Fellow Tradesmen. I am a 43 year old retired Union plumber on medical disability. I am on oxygen 24 hours a day with 1/3 lung capacity due to years of industrial exposure 2 fumes Solvents fluxes Etc. please remember to be safe out there always use your personal protective equipment especially respirators where needed I truly enjoy this forum and miss the piping trades so much it is nice to see craftsmanship and true professionalism may all your careers be safe long and prosperous

Comments

• GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Sorry to hear this, my dad passed from similar complications but he was also a smoker, the Dr's said it was a combo.

Our trade has many inherent dangers that we do not notice at the time because they do not affect you right away, it's a combination of time and exposure and we have to limit both.

Many of us may notice allergy type symptoms raising hell but I can tell you that most of time it is exposure to whatever, especially used, dirty air filters. Do not toss them around and make everything airborne, treat them like a toxic part because they are.
  • AnthraciteEnergetics
    AnthraciteEnergetics Member Posts: 77
    I work in EHS and am amazed at the stories and practices of the past. Bless those who managed to even survive many industry and trade jobs of the past.

Things are far better now than even just 30 years ago since solid fuels, asbestos, lead, harsh solvents (like trichloroethylene, or solvents with benzene and toluene), and practices like washing tools and hands with gasoline are more or less in the dustbin of history. Modern mechanical piping methods, less toxic solvents, and clean combustion of gas and oil are marvelous developments.

Avoid inhalation of dust (like the dirty filters, or insulation dust, paint dust, or dirt in crawspaces, etc). Use dust masks or properly fitted respirators where appropriate. Use HEPA filters in your vacuums ( I am partial to the CleanStream filters for Shop Vac, in combination with a disposable bag). Use vacuums in preference to blowing dust with compressed air.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,481
    edited March 2018
    BenDplumber , Welcome and thankyou for writing! Clearly there is some teacher and philosopher mixed in with your "plumber". I've had the pleasure of teaching some for the Union, and enjoy the culture of learning that exists. I've got one for you... Have a look at the link: http://www.faim.org/21st-century-medicine-a-new-model-for-medical-education-and-practice It's about "functional medicine", which is a different way of looking at health than we're used to. From what I've seen, it can work where conventional medicine fails us. You're way too young to have to retire from the work you enjoy.

Yours, Larry
    Rich_49
  • BenDplumber
    Thank you gentlemen. And thank you Larry for the link very informative
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,069
    @BenDplumber , welcome aboard brother. Glad to have your expertise.
  • BenDplumber
    Thanks EBEBRATT-ED great to be here!
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Sorry to hear about your disability. Welcome to the site.

Don’t forget silicosis. Drilling, dry cutting concrete, brick, block etc. anything with silica even dusty gravel roads. it’s a slow miserable death.
  • BenDplumber
    Thank you gordy I agree we have been told for years about eyes ears and hands. We inhale alot of contaminants that will cause serious pulmonary diseases over our years of exposure. I watched my father pass away from asbestosis. I wouldn't any of us to suffer through that.